FAQs / Troubleshooting

All game related guides goes here.
DevR

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Part 1 - Downloading / Installation

Where do I download the game?

To download the game, visit this link: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=83

How do I know which windows client to select?

Click on the 'windows' button on your keyboard, then type "My Computer". Right-click on the search result > click on "properties". Under the 'system' section, you will see "system type", and right next to it will be your windows version, either 32-bit or 64-bit. Choose the appropriate client from the Downloads page, i.e. 32-bit for a 32-bit system and 64-bit for a 64-bit system.

The game shuts down immediately after I try to run it. What do I do?

Go to your 'PBO' folder > click on the 'log' folder > open 'exception.log'. If the file is blank, then your Java version is outdated. In that case, go to Control Panel > Uninstall Programs > Uninstall Java.

Then, install Java 8 from: www.java.com/en/download/ [windows]
or: www.java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp [mac]

Install Java 8 after downloading it, then try again. Your game should be running now.

The exception.log file mentions an "OpenGL error". Help?

This means that your OpenGL version is outdated. If your graphics card supports OpenGL 2.0, then Update its drivers.

For nVidia graphics, go to: www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

For AMD graphics, go to: https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

For Intel graphics, go to: www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Part 2 - Gameplay

What are the game's controls?

Arrow Keys / WASD - player movement | space - interacting with NPCs | enter/e - moving through NPC dialogue | f – fishing

Can I change my controls?

Not right now. However, this will be made possible in the near future.

How do I speak to NPCs?

Approach the NPC any direction then press the ‘space’ key. You can then use the 'enter' or 'e' key to cycle through their dialogue.

How do I fish?

To fish, you need the ‘Fishing Rod’ in your bag. For that, complete the fishing quest. Once you have the rod, go into your bag and press 'use', then face the body of water (river, sea etc.) and press the ‘f’ key.

*There is a 3 second cooldown between each fishing attempt, so you can only try to fish once every 3 seconds.

How can I interact with other trainers on the same map (battle / trade)?

To interact with other trainers, right-click on their character, then you can choose to either:

1. View their trainer card

2. Send them a trade request

3. Send them a battle invite

Are there any chat commands I can use?
Yes, all users can use a handful of chat commands. Type @help to view the list of commands. These include:

1. @online – to check the number of users online.

2. Linking Pokemon in chat - right click on the trade tab, and select the Pokemon you wish to show on the chat.

3. @showteam - to show your entire team on the chat (trade,map and private only).

4. @ladder - to view the ranked ladder rankings.

Where is the first Pokémon Center / PokeMart?

The first PC and Mart are in Rockshore City, which is northeast of New Dawn Town, where player begin their journey.

If anyone faints before healing at the Rockshore PC, then they are teleported back to the bed in their room, which acts as a healing spot.

How do the game’s day / night cycles work?

Daytime is between 6 AM - 12 PM BST, and 6 PM - 12 AM BST. Conversely, night time is between 12 PM - 6 PM BST, and 12 AM - 6 AM BST.

Do these day / night cycles affect the wild spawns as well?
Yep. Many Pokémon are exclusive to either daytime or night-time, although several others spawn during both times. Certain evolutions are also affected by time, click this link for details: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36

What about the dawn / day / dusk / night cycle I see as a player?
That is an aesthetic element, which exists only on the client-side. It was added to allow players to experience dynamic lighting, and has no bearing on the server’s day / night cycle.

Can the wild Pokémon also have their hidden abilities?
Yes, hidden abilities are available in the wild. Each Pokemon has a 10% chance of having its hidden ability.

Do abilities work in-game?
Yes! Here is the list of working abilities: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=71

Are mega evolutions available to players?
Not right now. They will be made available later, as per the storyline requirements.

Is there an in-game Pokedex?
Yes, click on the Pokedex icon on the left hand corner, under your bag.

I don’t understand how the stat system works. Help?
Visit these links: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=82 (SP guide)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=321 (How to invest your stats)

Do my Pokemon’s in-battle stats scale with level?
Yes, they do. As your Pokemon gains more levels, the value of its base stat inside battle also rises. Basically, your stats do scale according to level. To see how this works go on the pokemon showdown calculator and set all the EVs to 0, then replace the pokemon's base stats with your SPs .
https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Are there shinies in this game?
Yes but due to the fast battling system they are more difficult to obtain.

Can I run in this game?
Yes, you get running shoes once you reach the second gym town(Bijli). To use them go to your bag and press 'use'.

How do I give the letter to the Professor?
Give it to assistant Lyanna.

Why can't I trade my pokemon?
1. You cannot trade a pokemon if it is holding an item.

2. Your trading partner cannot have a full party.

3. You cannot receive pokemon higher leveled than the badge requirement. The trade limit is 5+(badges*10), so 1 badge allows you to trade to lvl 15, 2 to 25 etc.

4. Certain pokemon are untradable, such as starter pokemon received from the lab, legendaries and certain event pokemon (i.e. fennekin from halloween).

How do Crews and Crew Wars work?
Click here for a full explanation of crews and crew wars: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=185

How do I remove 'X' item?
1. @remove-shoes
2. @remove-jacket
3. @remove-beak
4. @remove-cap
5. @remove-beard
6. @remove-wings
7. Certain masks can be removed by putting using your hair from bag.

What does the button under my trainer card do?
That is the camera which allows you to take screenshots of the game. The screenshots are saved in C:\Users\User\pbo_screenshots.

Is there EXP share in this game? How can I train my pokemon that don't have attacks?
EXP share was available during the Easter event, and are sometimes sold by players. However, NPCs give experience to all of the pokemon in your party. Starting with Patthar village, you can fight ace trainers in pokemon centers upstairs. You can train 3 pokemon at a time as long as they meet the given level requirements.

How can I tell if a pokemon is rare?
The spawn guide lists all pokemon locations and rarity:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=197
Keep in mind Pokemon that are lvl. 1-3 will always be at least uncommon, except for lower leveled areas. High leveled pokemon have sps invested already, so catch low levels to have as many sps as possible.

Dusk

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks for bringing the guide over.

Hope it helps any newbies, if anyone needs help in-game you can whisper me and I'll assist when I can :)
Join the discussion: http://discord.gg/7UeNF6n